PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHINOOK OUTCOME
Thread: CHINOOK OUTCOME
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2002, 01:50
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I might get severely chastised for this but here goes. I read many of the posts on this subject for a long period on another thread on the subject of the Chinook crash in the UK and was somewhat bewildered by the attention that was being paid to the reasons behind it. In the US if there is a military crash (the V-22 and the crashes in Afghanistan not withstanding) the newspapers and the TV may report it but then it goes into the woodwork. An investigation will ensue and the findings published not in the public press but within the participating military service(es). The crash and the investigation are very seldom publicized and the open investigation does not involve the legislative branch of the federal government or the higher ranks of the effected military branch. The lack of publicity is especially true if it is suspected that pilot involvement effected the crash. In the case of the Chinook crash the pilots were convicted and sentenced in absentia even before the investigation was completed. What made this crash so important as to involve those high ranking military and government officials and why did they rush to judgement relative to pilot involvement in the crash and when it was all over the main accusers essentially walked away leaving the surviving families devastated?

I will now don my flack vest and duck for cover.