PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS - who controls the rest?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2005, 00:04
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the old days have gone and ATC has to be done by approved courses, which I agree with. However I could teach radar control in my back garden. When I went through the college in the early 80's the simulation was basic, no ATC college course prepares anyone for the real world of ATC. My ATPL was so different as you guys will know, hands on experience from first lesson until passing the finals, and of course all the bookwork in between the actual flying, then the sim time and more bookwork, line sector training etc. The ATC training route to qualify is a waste of time for the students but has to be done, then if passing then they can do the real thing.
If I was running an ATC Center or Airport I would start everbody from scratch.
AREA UNITS:
1.Assistant until experienced (2 years)
2.Area Radar/Procedural Training under supervision for a required period, (assessed to be good enough)
3. College course for the theory.
4.Final Radar on live unit for validatation.
APPROACH UNITS:
Very similar depending on the ratings required.
This all dates back to the good old way of ATC training when people were better assessed with less cost, and any further failures were better accommodated.
In my opinion I should have gone straight into flying it is easier, but, for those of you who are going into ATC then good luck and I wish you all the best. Just go along with the system. It may not be the best but you have to adhere to it and pass it.
Just a thought for you promising ATCO's.
How many ATCO's have changed careers to be Airline Pilots and how many failed cadets (in my day), now students, have now become Airline Pilots?. I'll think you will find there are a lot.
Rgds ILS 119.5