PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2005, 23:22
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Irish Steve That is possibly the most fascinating post that I have read since I joined PPRuNe. If I was an inflammatory journo, I would use the word Terrifying but I shall stay with Remarkable. However, it all makes perfect [ghastly] sense.

I find it remarkable that any Bus operator does not train for Manual Reversion landing. Yes, I know there are three or five or seven computers but, one day they will all stop working and then you have to know how to make a reasonable descent towards the ground.

chucks I have worked in telecommunications and I.T. for 25+ years and the problem that I have seen in commerce is what you describe in the air! That is, that a company automate a process to make it easier and cheaper more often than they automate it to make the process better.

Nothing wrong in saving money but, in the UK, we have already seen the money saving process fail someway down the line. Best example, the state of maintenance on the national railway permanent way (the lines themselves). Too many years of politicians and Yes-men have broken the system and people have died.

One of the most common questions that a machine operator has when being taught a new function is, "Why is it doing that?" They then concentrate on trying to understand the machine. The best solution may well be to kick off the automatic and get to a safe place and then try to understand it. That safe place may be home base and even the SIM. But, if the operator/pilot does not know, or fully understand, what the machine is trying to accomplish in their name ...?