PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newie with questions...
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2005, 09:59
VectorLine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if I were to pass the interview when would I likely begin my training?
Bernoulli is probably your expert on this one, but 6 - 12 months time is a good estimate.

What sort of opportunites are available for working abroad after a few years in the job?
They could be good. There will probably always be opportunities in the Middle East. Maybe NavCanada will open their doors again. European jobs most likely available, but many countries will require local language.

All above will require you to resign from NATS.

However, NATS recently won a 3 year contract to operate ATC and other services at Gibraltar. This is probably just the start of NATS overseas airports contracts. So opportunities there (albeit through transfer to NATS Gibraltar Ltd - or other NATS foreign Co - with associated pension complications)

Anyone have any more tips to help me out at the interview?
* Prepare as you would for any other interview.
* Have a good, convincing answer for "Why do you want to be an air traffic controller"
* If it is selection test stage - then practice all the puzzles you can get from IQ test books.
* If interview, then most of what you have read in the links above will help a lot.
* You could round off by reading anything you can get from the library to do with air traffic control.
* Visit at least one unit.
* Have a read through 'Flight International' at your local WH Smith
* Look at the new official NATS recruitment site - lots of information, plus the opportunity to listen to sampled RT. (incidently can any of the ATCOs recognise themselves, and were you asked permission? I recognise one 'D' Watch WestEnder)