PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2005, 06:02
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You folks raised some very good points.

As Captain, I'm just a little more conservative on crosswinds over 15 knots on wet runways than as FO years ago (. ) . One go-around (this was spelled "ego around"! ...maybe this is THE only main point!) was due to sudden rain and just a crosswind as such: it was not very gusty and the runway fairly long-but nobody had braking action reports. The FO with me had been a KC-135 or AWACS Instructor Pilot, and I could have easily landed but the sudden increase in surface wind combined with lower visibility, when on a three mile final, inspired a message in my head. This subtle voice told me to not be the first to land (even if the other pilot felt that it was wimpy of me). Let's not forget about how slippery wet rubber can be in warm weather (might prefer thin patches of dry snow).

On dry asphalt, the max crosswinds I could probably handle ok, but the planes are certificated by factory test pilots with lots of practice, or at least that has always been my impression. My main problem has been to sometimes clarify, by calling tower, that there is not a sudden quartering tailwind on a short, wet runway. Automatic wind-reporting equipment has been known to malfunction (i.e., at SAT), stating the wrong wind direction, but if due to a rain shower, it can be best to stay at 2,000-3,000' etc and wait for the winds to slow down, at least the tailwind component (or get vectored out to an ILS in the opposite direction).

By the way, having never trained on the A-319/320, comments made about its inertia and handling in crosswinds always sounds interesting and puzzling. How much near maximum limits do regular LINE pilots operate on the A-320 etc?

Last edited by Ignition Override; 27th Aug 2005 at 05:09.