PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2005, 18:56
anjouan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks as if the fares between Lagos and Port Harcourt being charged by Virgin Nigeria are seriously damaging some older operators, especially Aero, who charge about 50% more for the same flight. I also heard that Aero have temporarily suspended their Ghana flights due to low passenger loads. Maybe they'll think seriously about going back to their core businesses of operating helicopters and operating fixed wing aircraft only in support of the oil and gas industry on charter.

What's happening to Caverton these days? Haven't seen their Dauphin for a long time now and the heliport in Lagos doesn't seem to have started any shuttle service yet. Looking at how close it is to the Faloma bridge I'd have thought they'd have a real struggle with downwind takeoffs most of the tear when the wind is from the southwest - unless they're going to bring in a helicopter with seriously better performance than those they have so far. In fact they seem to have done nothing about their Port Harcourt shuttle either.

I'd have thought that if Bristow bring their old 212s to Port Harcourt when the 412s arrive they could easily undercut any of the other operators. However, they may not be able to operate them for long because of their age and Nigerian legislation on maximum age of aircraft operated on public tyransport flights - plus being short of pilots. I think, looking at the history of the Caverton helicopters they too (except the 109) are fairly old and will have to be replaced before too long. Aero have quite a few old 365s, but they seem to be bringing in a number of new 76C+s and 365Ns and Bristow are bringing in a lot of Bell 412s and S76C+ and C++s.