PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 24th Aug 2005, 15:30
ATSU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK you guys got me - I'm weak. This will absolutely be my last post as I realize that it can be habit forming. I really appreciate the debate though, finally it reflects some measured thinking.

So judging by the responses the main area of discontent is really not the ones listed in my original post but the claim that the EK compensation package is no longer attractive to pilots "who have worked hard for their ATPL, been awarded it by a reputable authority and have flown a decent number of hours on worlwide routes in decent equipment with a well regulated airline". Maybe those same pilots from countries with "predominantly pale complexions".

"And some of my best friends are (insert your choice of a race other than pale complected)".

As an American niece of mine would say "are you guys for real?"

You guys seem to have buttressed my theory if not proved it outright. This is probably the first time I have heard that the hiring of third worlders is compromising safety at EK on Pprune and that gentlemen is where I think your intellectual argument really breaks down. Once again I ask where is the evidence? Which of the recent incidents, all of which had happy outcomes (thank the Lord), was a direct result of this type of hiring?

In fact most of them were resolved well due to the professionalism of the flight crews wherever they came from. Please don't start listing their individual nationalities. I really don't want to know and you will only be strengthening my argument.

Let's be honest the reason that EK is not getting the same applicants it has traditionally gotten is because things aren't as bad as they were there. I have no data for this statement but I believe that most people would not choose to leave home if conditions there were acceptable. Pilots are infamous next-door-neighbour gardeners and now maybe the grass is looking a little less brown at home but those seniority numbers were sacrificed.

Guys I don't really believe that you are necessarily racist but you are definitely not being intellectually honest. If things at home (whichever populace pale complected place that may be) were as bad as they were 5, 10, 15 years ago would you really be talking about EK hiring third worlders? Upon reflection you probably would because EK might hire some of them and then those guys would be taking the jobs of better qualified guys from home. Right?

Do you have any items for the logbook?
No me neither. Is that the bus? Let's have the securing aircraft checklist my dear fellow.

ATSU OUT!