PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for HR people - PIC or SIC?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2005, 09:44
Beertender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lightheart,

Congrats with your new license!
I would like to reply to your thread (all though I am not an HR person).
I have been in a "SIC program" in the USA, flying piston PA31 Chieftains. Two classmates of mine who were training on the B-99 have landed jobs and are now flying ATR's and
B-1900's for European operators. They logged their hours as SIC only, since the commander is allready assigned by the operator on these revenue flights. I know a guy who logged ALL of his time on the B99 as PIC and got away with it when showing his logbook to the Dutch Aviation Authorities.

Turbine (turbo prop) time on B99 (or similar aircraft) will get your CV noticed and will help you in getting that first job, especially when applying at the smaller turbo-prop operators.
In Europe they are also big on flying "Multi Pilot certified aeroplanes". The JAA now requires a minimum of 500 hours on multi pilot aeroplanes for issuing a full JAA ATPL.

Multi Pilot Aeroplanes start in EU with types such as B1900, Fairchild SA227 metroliner.
However, in the States these types are operated as Single Pilot airplanes (under FAA rules) and do not require a Co-pilot (SIC) on board. Therefore you can not log this time as Multi Pilot Time under JAA rules. So, be careful when "buying hours" in the States.

If you prefer to gain Multi pilot time, try to get on an aeroplane that is also certified for Multi pilot operations (by both FAA and by JAA rules!)
I guess it's fair to say: the bigger (heavier) the aircraft, the better your CV looks and the better chances on interviews.

Hope this will help you,

Regards,

Beertender