PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 23:48
Harves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonno, I was out at Bae Systems in 2001 and you would be gob smacked by how many people are in your shoes.
On one of our bonding sessions at the bar I was amazed to find out that just at my table there were 3 guys with drink driving convictions all within 5 years.

The previous posts between them all have valid points I feel but the reality of the situation seem to be less scary than you would think.

One of the younger guys at the table was extremely worried by the situation because he could not tell anyone about it including his family, so I offered to look into it with him.

The first thing I looked at was the reabilitation of offenders act and it stated that the conviction would remain on the database for such a time as any fine, imprisonment or disqualification for driving offences remained..after this it was removed.

Again it is true that it will indeed remain on your driving license for 11 years.....I belive that this would be the crux for me, because it is true that some airlines will want too see that ...who knows what might happen then....I suspect absolutely nothing, but even if it did there would be other airlines who would never ask to see it anyway.

Back to the guys around the table..I have kept in touch with one....guess what he is flying ATR's for a reputable firm now and never had a problem atall and I suspect his conviction actually still showed up....the other two have not yet had the chance to know if it would be a problem unfortunately.

I guess in my long winded way...I am saying that in my experience of seeing a few guys in this situation the liklihood of it becoming an issue after 5 years appears very slim and can then be circumvented anyway.

One final irony that may make a few people smile.....when we phoned the CAA for advice on my colleague we were put through to a very nice man who told us what was what....he used to be a Met Copper....we asked why he had switched to this......I was done for drink driving he said.....I think that shows we can all make a mistake and deserve another chance.

Anyway...sorry for going on so much...but good luck jonno ...I am sure it is tough on you but atleast you have recognised your mistake...I say go for it if it is your dream !!!

Last edited by Harves; 23rd Aug 2005 at 23:58.