PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar to Europe & USA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 23:35
chockchucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a small concern regarding the policy that Qantas has in regard to replacing check-in staff with self serv kiosks (and perhaps anyone who makes their living operating an RPT aircraft will too)

My concern with the self serv kiosk is along these lines. Anybody can purchase a domestic E-ticket to travel within Australia under an assumed name on-line. A transaction at an airport with a self-check kiosk does not require production of valid identification to obtain a bording pass, just a booking number (as opposed to having to interact with a human being in order to obtain a boarding pass).

My worry is that this new system, whilst probably very popular with the honest traveller (and no doubt the bean counters), it lays itself wide open to abuse from those with more sinister intentions. I don't think that we should rely soley on a locked cockpit door as the main line of defense here (and I don't believe that there are sky-marshalls on every flight in Australia).

Perhaps the hatchet men at Qantas should have another think before making the job of hijackers any easier that it already is?
But then, god help anyone who stands in the way of next years executive bonus or shareholder dividend.