PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown (or fly) the Huey?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2001, 16:35
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My best guess-
She had the best crews in the world.

Crew chiefs routinely worked 38 hour days, relying on sleep reserves they accumulated some time in the historical past. Having the aircraft red-x'd when she was needed was a mortal insult. If the Crew Chief said the aircraft would fly, he meant it would fly with his ass in it.
Pilot damage to aircraft not tolerated. I don't think Baby-san would really have broken my arm if I hot started 925-but I wasn't prepared to find out. Oddly, Baby-san would be absolutely silent while I did the most outlandish dumbass FNG pilot stuff up front...

Cleo came to be my gunner from a line outfit. I don't think he'd ever heard the word "fear". If he took three shots to hit a target from a hard turn at 1500 with his free 60, it was somebodys' lucky day-a short day, but lucky to that point. If he'd said he could brush my teeth with that 60, I'd have gotten out the Colgate and a grin. 38 hour days? Cleo did it, and OJT as crew chief-later took over 925. May have even done better than Baby-san, but that's a pure theoretical concept.

925 was the best by-god helicopter that ever turned a blade because two guys in the back wouldn't let it (or me) be anything else.