PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too young? And how young is too young?
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 20:04
OneIn60rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL/CPL

Firstly, atpl is an Air line transport license and CPL is a Commercial Pilot's license.
The difference is that the ATPL requires 1500 hours to UNFREEZE once you've finished the 14 ATPL exams, that doesn't mean it's useless to you since you'll be able to fly as FO (first officer) in order to build those hours. Once you have the 1500 hours (which include a minimum of 500 hours multi!!) then you can get the chance to actually be the captain. The reason everyone goes for the ATPL is that it eliminates the hassle of redoing any exams or paying more in the end. If you just do the CPL and later decide to do the IR JAA/CAA then you have to do the IR tests, hence again why we prefer doing ATPL tests.

You need as far as I know in the USA as well as in Europe a CPL license in order to begin a CFI course, to say the least about
getting a multi engine rating or IR rating.
I know of not a single CFI who works without an IR nor would I imagine that's it

If you are serious about becoming a pilot then I highly suggest you choose to do the entire ATPL course, as to what
school to choose, that's all you. I would suggest though that you go for Bristol ground school for the ATPL, they have a
awesome rep. on line and I also have a friend who highly recommends it since he himself did it.

1/60