PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What not to take into Riyadh?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 14:29
Mr R Sole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the world would be a boring place if everything was the same but the simple fact is that foreigners in Saudi have no option but to conform to Islamic law. In the UK though foreigners don't have to conform or even attempt to integrate into western society - and they don't!

There are many people who come to the UK and don't like our way of life. However, they do not try and change this.
True when you put many into the context but there are quite a few that want to change our lives. Look at the Islamic terrorist attacks in London - apparently done to provoke fear and change our daily lives. Going some time back, I recall one Islamic scholar stating that he projected that in a few decades time the UK will by default be an Islamic state since Islam is growing in the UK. That sounds like an agenda of change to me!

I am not saying that Saudi Arabia should change their way of life - after all that is what makes Saudi different! However the difference is that visitors and expats in the UK can live as they would in their own country but you can't in Saudi.

Anyway this is veering far away from the original topic.