PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Happenings (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 13:47
submariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad we are now getting back onto the correct subject. I feel it is pointless comparing cities (or indeed Counties), It is beneficial to see most airports expand.

However, just to correct MancRy, By no means of the imagination is Manchester Britains 2nd City.

The Factual information is, according to population:

1. London
2. Birmingham
3. Glasgow
4. Liverpool
5. Sheffield
6. Leeds
7. Bristol
and er,
8. Manchester

Unfortunately, Britains cities do not include their real make up like other countries so it is difficult to make true comparisons, therefore it is best to stick to the facts available.

You can not compare the County of Greater Manchester to other cities, but to other Counties. Try comparing like with like. i.e. West Midlands and Gtr Manchester.

As for a higher profile:

Commonwealth Games - Edinburgh?

Manchester United - But its in Trafford, not Manchester. Try using Manchester City as a comparitor.

Manchester Airport - Fair point, but part of it used to be in Cheshire, and as the rest of the region start to claw back their own Pax, Manplc will expand at a slower rate.

Coronation Street - What, a sad soap opera unknown outside of the U.K. - I have never even watched it.

I'm sure most, if not all other Cities can register a higher worldwide profile than the above.

What you missed (and it is this what has probably couloured your thinking) is that the majority of the Media in the North is based in Manchester and they, being born and bred mancunians, have yet to learn that Manchester is merely the 2nd largest city in the region and is actually based on the periphery of that.

But then again, why don't we all just stick to aviation.