PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 13:33
Scudsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree that banging on about nationality is a very strange thing to do. I have flown with many nationalities and found fine pilots from all corners of the globe. I see Russians were mentioned in this string and I've flown with many Russians. Those selected for my previous employer were of the highest professional standard. That is true of the amazing array of nationalities I have operated with. Country does not equal stupid in this day and age.

I'm afraid I don't quite agree with some of your other postings. The rumour buster quite clearly implies that some people will have to move out to the new 600+ villas being built in silicon city (they may turn out to be be quite nice, but they are not finished yet so it's difficult to say). Various grades of employees have already been asked to move out of their company accomodation or pay the difference in the new lease fees. This is common knowledge. Ask around a bit more and you'll meet those involved.

The US situation makes me feel for the pilots and their families in N. America. They are welcome to join the various expanding airlines in the Middle East. I'm sure they will be made as welcome as I have been.
Unfortunately the strange bankruptcy laws in the USA have allowed this problem to drag on. If 1 or 2 US operators had gone bust when market conditions demanded then this would not be the acute problem it is now. I too have been made redundant. It's awful but it's commercial life. I'm not an economist but the US government is trying to prop up (or even nationalise) in an American free market. It just won't work.

If Dubai and Emirates are booming (and leading to inflation), shouldn't the fruits of this success be passed on to the employee WITHOUT a large negative change in working conditions? I'm specifically refering to the reduction in over time payments. This is also leading to increased working hours.

If you wish to reward without inflationary wage increases than lump sum into the provident scheme would not affect Dubai’s inflation rates (at least in the short term).

I'm not against DEC's. But an airline should apply promotion policy in a sensible and flexible manner. An F/O should not have to be stuck on the 310 fleet with no escape (as you agree) BUT Emirates don’t explain this problem at the interview which THEN leads to a Pi@@ed off F/O as you put it.

What are you talking about with the EPC comments?

I'm sorry but you sound like you've gone completely and utterly barking mad.

Last edited by Scudsy; 23rd Aug 2005 at 13:54.