PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 12:46
ATSU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

That's it!

I have been reading this forum for several years and I joined EK some time ago in spite of what was said here. Never responded before but the post by RINGADINGDING about all of the different nationalites was very illuminating. I have listened to all of the supposed reasons why apparently so many EK pilots are p****d off and none of them really pass inspection. I will agree that there have been changes and that some of them have been to the detriment of the pilot body. When compared with the recent experiences of our brethren especially in North America and parts of Europe these complaint's almost pale into insignificance. The following is my synopsis of the complaints as I understand them:

1) Upgrade "delayed" due DEC's. The operative word here is "delayed". At AA, DL, USAir, Air Canada, United and the former SwissAir, Capt's have been demoted to F/O's and F/O's have been furloughed. Has anybody noticed the age of an F/O from any of the US majors on a European layover lately?

2) No transition upgrades. I agree that this is a stupid policy but 5 more 777's before the end of 2005 and 1 new plane a month for the next 90-odd months. I'll go to Ladbroke's and place a bet about a change in this policy shortly.

3) Changes in T&C's and FDTL requirements. The operative word here is "changes". Some of the changes have resulted in a paycut some haven't. The most onerous one - factoring - no longer exists. Once again the pilots at the aforementioned carriers have experienced such things as 40% paycuts, complete loss of pensions, reduction in medical coverage and ultimately job losses.

4) Changes in accomadation. I don't know how to respond to this one because I haven't met anyone or met anyone who has met anyone who has been forced out of accomadation due to increases in rent or been forced to pay anything towards rent.

5) Overwork. Maybe I am too philosophical about this one but as long as there's work there's pay and as long as there is pay there's food and shelter for my family. Maybe if some of the contributors to Pprune would stop doing their damndest to discourage every potential applicant who ventures forth a question, EK could hire more pilots and possibly ease the workload.

6) Inflation. My very basic understanding of economics tells me that a city growing at such a rapid rate will experience inflation because supply cannot keep time with demand until the rate of growth either slows or stops. It is that same rapid growth that is resulting in so many shiny new aircraft for us to operate.

7) Sand & Heat. These two have been here since before biblical times and I suspect will be here long after Boeing and Airbus merge and establish a new manufacturing facility in Darfur for the A-377-LR. In other words nothing has changed since you accepted the job.

The reason that RINDADINGDING's post opened my eyes is that I now suspect that the discontent is not really about any of the foregoing or even a combination of them. Maybe the real source of discontent is that the EPC, like the Augusta Golf Course (home of the Masters) was a private club with an "exclusive" membership. In the past the "BOARD OF DIRECTORS" could "control" the type of members and just let in a few "undesirables" for appearances sake. But with a new push for expanded membership and not enough of the "right sort" applying they are being forced to look further afield and the original members are not happy.

I'm off fishing - where is my can of worms?

ATSU