PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sideways quick stops
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2001, 03:08
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Nick Lappos

Nick Sez:

“Lu, did you write the words "and CFR-14-27.351 requires full deflection of the tail rotor pedals (left and right) while airborne from 0 to 0.6 Vne to attain a 90-degree sideslip" ??

Lu Responds:

"AC-27-1 paragraph 27.177.b.2 recognizes that some helicopters experience excessive flapping of the main rotor and tail rotors when the helicopter is in a sideslip. To establish this side slip/flapping limits the respective rotors should be instrumented. CFR-14-27.177 requires testing of the controllability at side slip angles of plus ten degrees, left and right, and CFR-14-27.351 requires full deflection of the tail rotor pedals (left and right) while airborne from 0 to 0.6 Vne to attain a 90-degree sideslip

The above text was taken from a report that I sent to the NTSB in 1996. It paraphrases the requirements of the two documents. In my response to your last post I provided text directly from the two documents. I used the term airborne to define the conditions under which the tests were to be undertaken.

In one of your posts you indicated (if I remember correctly) that it was not required to perform a test while airborne (my words) in order to prove the structural integrity of the helicopter by applying full left and right pedal to attain a 90-degree sideslip. Perhaps I misunderstood your statement but CFR 14.27.351 states exactly that. I don't have the time to type out all of the text but I am sure you have access to CFR 14.27. In my book it is on page 490.

SINCE YOU USED CAPITAL LETTERS FOR EMPHASIS I WILL DO THE SAME. YOU MENTIONED PARAGRAPH (a) OF CFR 14.27.351INDICATING THAT EACH ROTORCRAFT MUST BE DESIGNED FOR THE LOADS RESULTING FROM THE MANEUVERING SPECIFIED AND YOU STOPPED THERE ALLUDING TO THE FACT THAT I WAS WRONG AND THAT THERE WAS NO TEST REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE THIS CAPABILITY. WHAT YOU DID NOT DISCLOSE WERE THE PARAGRAPHS AND SUBPARAGRAPHS THAT FOLLOWED (a) WHICH FULLY DEFINE THE TEST AND THE SIDESLIP ANGLES OF +/- 90-DEGREES AT .6Vne. AND, CONTRARY TO WHAT YOU SAID PREVIOUSLY THIS TEST APPLIES TO ALL CIVIL HELICOPTERS.

There are alligators and humming birds. You are a combination of the two. An alligator mouth and a hummingbird butt.

Stop trying to tell everybody I am wrong when you have not even read the documents that I have quoted.