PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sideways quick stops
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2001, 17:28
RW-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, I will have to revise my interpretation of the maneuver itself.

However in another thread, I believe I'm not ready to begin trying out such a maneuver yet.
Though others may disagree, and it might be benificial to me at somepoint, I'll work on not getting into a situation where I need it for the moment. I'll have to see if anyone here CFI wise has done them.

The virtue of a sideways quick stop is that the lift can then be tilted with bank angle instead of pitch up. You can get more roll angle easier than pitch up, with better visibility and no danger to the tail rotor from the ground. For example, it is easy to bank 30 degrees in a side flare, still see where you are going. A 30 degree nose up is most unwise in most helicopters.
Cannot argue with that logic! Planetary tail strikes do seem to suck, don't they?

I wished to ask though, if we were talking about the side slip portions of flight, then there is another maneuver for combat heli's and civilian as well (wouldn't see why it may not be used) and that is the "return to target". where you bring the nose around to bear. Can anyone expand on this type of maneuver as it pertains to the current thread? (Just for grins, etc.)