PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City Airport
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 07:48
virginblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airport is currently running surveys for Vienna, Glasgow and Stockholm as possible future destinations.

I remember that in the past they have had similar questionaires for Copenhagen, Leeds, Newcastle and Madrid.

LBA and CPH were eventually started/will be started. VLM has been linked to a possible NCL service, Iberia/Air Nostrum (with wet-elased BAe 146s) to a Madrid route.

Have surveys been carried out for other destinations than CPH and LBA that eventually resulted in a new serive ?

As for the current surveys, the one for GLA is quite interesting, as in the past both Scot Airways and British Airways have given the routes unsuccessful tries (Scot Airways twice ?). They are the two most likely operators for such a service but I doubt that they will try again. Following the LBA desasters, bmi does not seem to be too likely (it owuld also require mods to their ERJ135). For VLM, the route is a bit too long for their venerable Fokker 50s IMHO. I am wondering whom LCY is targeting.....

I guess with regard to Stockholm, Malmö Aviation with a Bromma service is the one LCY is interested in although Blue1 from ARN might be an option as well.

As far as VIE is cincerned, I have heard that the obvious target, Austrian, is not interested at all. Also, their Fokker 70 would have performance issues at LCY given the bad experience Air France made with the type in the 1990s while for the Q400s, the route with 672nm certainly is too long to attract customers (2hrs+ ?)