PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest on tilt rotors?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 1998, 07:44
Corporate Yank

We have a Bell 206L3 in our stable and attend recurrent training at Bell Helicopter, Fort Worth, Tx. every year. During my visit last spring, I flew with a instructor named Keith? who is as sharp as a new razor with rotary, and is apparently headed for the tiltrotor program. We hear that the feds (FAA) are working on a "POWERED LIFT" rating on pilot certificates for this class of aircraft. I always felt that if I won the lottery big time, I would pay for my own CONCORDE type rating just for the fun of it before retirement. Now with the impending Bell 609, the CONCORDE just took back seat. This is the cat's ass flying machine, and if you can get trained in it, I feel that you will be in a great position for future employment. Right now, it looks like EMS and OIL RIG service will start this new era, but I don't think it will take long for the corporate world to catch on to this aircraft's capabilities. It won't be long before the captains of industry are landing at their company sites in one of these machines to do business.---CY