PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memorial enquiry
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 13:53
Rakshasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little bit of info here i dug up doing some research on jag crashes a few months ago from the Commons debates public records:

Mr. Cohen : To ask the Secretary of State for Defence (1) if he will make a statement about the crash of a United States Air Force A-10 Tankbuster jet from RAF Bentwaters at Bank farm, Benwick near Chatteris, Cambridgeshire ;

(2) if he will make a statement about each crash in the United Kingdom or its territorial waters of United States Air Force jets in the last year ; what risk to life was involved ; and what armaments they were carrying.

Mr. Neubert : During the last year, three United States Air Force aircraft have been lost in accidents in the United Kingdom, as follows :

i. 22 December 1988 : and A-10 aircraft crashed near St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, during a routine training flight. The pilot successfully ejected.

ii. 4 April 1989 : an A-10 aircraft crashed on landing at RAF Alconbury. The pilot was uninjured.

iii. 17 April 1989 : and A-10 aircraft crashed during a routine training flight on open farmland one mile south of Benwick, Cambridgeshire. The pilot was killed.

In each case the aircraft was equipped with GAU7 anti-tank guns and practice ammunition. No civilians were injured as a result of any of these accidents.