PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 11:26
7gcbc
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toomuchradiations,

Its actually quite common for prospective employers to remove "unknown" risk when considering candidates, and the route through Cabair and Oxford may indeed just do that, it's no guarantee from the employee performance point of view , however it removes the risk of employing a non-starter.

All the investment banks do this, however they are smart enought to not confine themselves to just one or two uni's

I use the work "unknown" because until you have the pudding on you're spoon, its all conjecture, the best candidate on paper may turn out to be a no-hoper, and the worst candidate may often thrive, that said, the method of going in using the two schools you mentioned is pretty solid based on historical requirements.

I don't speak from aviation experience in this respect, however in the commercial business world, there is a significant amount of bias towards the top-end Universities, and who can blame the employers, although I have to add one point, the graduates/candidates only "shine" *after* they have been exposed to the work in anger, and not before - it's the same in any industry, with one or two execptions. Indeed some of the best on paper turn out to be incapable of "dealing" with people and adverse to teamwork, and the middle level candidates (all rounders - no genuis, but very comfortable) seem to be the best at making the runs, I have seen more than enough MBA grads come through and "read it like a book" and they all fail to a man, you can't learn this stuff in a classroom, it just does not cut it, yes learn the basics and get through and remove the "intellectual-capability-risk" but after that, when you start "work" its a whole different ball game.........

RMC,

I don't see why you can't sideslip a swept 75/76/73 gently enough to see how it works, and keeping the Vmin or (stall) margin high enough and within weights, I can't see how it can cause problems (anhyedral excepted). ?

edit: changed "perceived" to "unknown" - late night, kids driving me crazy, brain muddle...

Last edited by 7gcbc; 22nd Aug 2005 at 12:05.