PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 08:19
7gcbc
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often fly circuits from early downwind to 500 on finals using only trim and rudder, (sure its occasionally a sloppy circuit and difficult to be accurate- I only do it when its empty) but it gives me confidence that I know the aircraft and what she'll do If I ever lost aerlion or elevator or both). 3 deg approachs on a light single (as they are taught) also give me the willies.........

I know you guys are probably all RPT's , but do you ever get the chance to "see" what a 757/73 in a sideslip is like, or play with the asyms and not use rudder to pickup the wings ?

Ps was on an Egyptair bus into luxor a few years back, and that guy did a class 1 x-wind, wing low landing, even holding the wing down on the tarmac until opposite came down naturally, I spoke to the FO (same hotel) later and he told me the Xwind was 20-25 and that it was a manual landing. I was impressed, he did not use the rudder to "hunt" for his best picture, nor seemingly I recall bank, he just pretty much got it right, which in a 320/321 was pretty damn impressive.

Apologies in advance if its a stupid question.

edit(changed "it" to "opposite")

Last edited by 7gcbc; 22nd Aug 2005 at 08:40.