PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do any Britannia Pilots read here?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 07:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atco-matic

Sorry to read your article on Britannia, I've always found them to be a good outfit......the comments you make are similar to a situation quite a few years ago with Air 2000......but that has all ceased now.
When I was much younger an ex-RAF Britannia [aircraft] landed at Blackpool for an end of season landladies' charter. As the crew walked to the terminal they saw a little boy in short trousers, hand-me-down sandals, no socks, and a pullover full of holes....he was clutching a small notebook and pencil in the falling rain....he'd never seen an aircraft that big before.
The captain lifted him over the low fence, took him on board, and showed him the flight-deck. Dreams are made in such moments.
Some years later the same boy was an assistant at LATCC and used to drive to Luton to cadge a flight somewhere...could have been a Monarch Britannia, Courtline BA 1-11, or a Britannia 737....on one occassion the chief pilot JD enters and sees grubby youth in corner...what will he do?...throw him out?.....no! Takes him to GCXO and back in "sierra india" [ B707 ].
To me, that is Britannia Airways......not the outfit described in the article.