PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Happenings (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2005, 23:30
MancRy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leodis, we all know that London is the capital, but thanks for stating the obvious.
We also know that Birmingham is indeed Englands second city. However, in case you didn't notice, this is an aviation website and to me in this context (and that of media and the financial sector), Manchester is the second city. i.e look at MAN compared to BHX. Need i say more?

The whole BA MAN debate (both here and over at airliners.net) keeps re-appearing and i also have the view that BA (and other UK carriers) have neglected MAN. There is, i believe, much potential at MAN for BA to develop its Long Haul services. What i mean by that is LAX perhaps aswell as other 'popular' destinations and not to some far flung African destination that is operated from LHR!
A common response from those who oppose this view is......

1) "oh BA don't have an obligation to MAN, they are a business"
BA is a business and they haven't an obligation to MAN but they are missing an opportunity. Other long haul carriers have not only found MAN routes sustainable but also very lucrative. Also, contary to many peoples beliefs, Manchester and indeed several Northern Cities have business organisations (financial, manufacturing etc) that can support premium products aswell as there been many, not overly affluent people, that are willing to spend more on their well earned holiday. (yes prosperity really does exist North of Watford Gap)
While some may argue that the dual hub model does not work, Heathrow is, as we know, bursting at the seamswhile MAN could relieve some of that burden. At present BA has a relatively good European network that could feed a small portfolio of long haul routes aswell as those of fellow oneworld partners. In turn this would support european routes. Whilst those in the southeast wouldn't dream of transiting MAN, those connecting from Europe couldnt care less whether they changed at LHR or MAN as long as its easy, the service is good and the price is right. Apparently, GB Airways routes (who i'll be working for from next month-before any of you think i'm anti BA) are full of people connecting onto JFK.
In respect of dual hubs, some say that few other airlines have two or more hubs. But i think that the MAN situation is rarely replicated because whilst IB, for instance, doesn't offer Long haul out of BCN, BCN doesn't have many (if any) long haul ops anyway where as MAN does. Or put it a better way, name me another city that has the likes of EK,SQ,QR,US,DL,PK,AA,MH etc and not have many long hauls by it's National carrier.

This is my own personal view and i can understand why people get frustrated with BA MAN. The fact that shortly, we will lose some routes notably FCO makes it worse. I mean it's terrible that from then on the only route from Northern England to the Italian capital will be an FR from LPL that arrives in Rome and some late hour and all because BA wants to focus on 50 seat ops that can't make it that far. GB...thats your route for the takin!