PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2005, 20:05
Studebaker978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do share this concern. Myself I have flown A32O family and A330 for several years now. I still fly very regularly raw dat take offs, landings and even sectors. As said before, all based on the right time and the right conditions. And I am proud to say that my hand flying skills are still as sharp asever.

However.....This can not be said of most of my colleagues. I used to fly for a major European carrier where everybody more or less had the same flying skills. We used to enjoy handflying a lot, in fact it was recommended to practice.
Since a couple of years I have been flying in the middle east with people from all over the world....

And here those basics are totally gone. The company allows handflying ( AP, AT and FD off) but people are affraid of it. No practice so the skills go away eventually.
And this shows in the sim.....AP off is ok but once we go further the plane is all over the sky.

Who is to blame?

First of all....ourselves! We should force ourselve once in a while to fly the plane iso managing the buttons.

Management can push their pilots more etc...

A lot of big ( mostly UK influenced ) companies however dont allow this hence the results...

Another flaw is the dissappearence of the aviation basics: 1/60 rules, holding entries and calculations, lapse rates, descent profiles etc.....OK, we do not really need all this in our daily lives but maybe, one day , we will need it again!!!!