PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian-> FAA license conversion
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 21:51
zakpeegoodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I converted my Aussie CPL to a Yankee ATP last month.

You need:
1,500 total
100 night
75 instrument.

The very first step is to have your Australian License verified by TSA. You need to fill out their on line form, send a copy of your license, $100 and wait a couple of months. They will send you a letter saying your Australian license is valid - you then have 6 months to turn up in the States before the letter expires.
Because of security concerns, you cannot book into a flight school before your license is verified by TSA.

I did the written exam, a couple of flights, then a flight test with
www.atpflightschool.com
They were a production line outfit, they get you in the door and out as quick as possible - but that suited me.

The written exam is a joke. I hadn't looked at a book for years, I went in cold to the one day study session, and passed the exam that evening...

The flight test is about the standard of an Aussie IFR renewal - made easier with all the vectors you get here.

The Aussie CPL to FAA CPL conversion is actually more involved that the CPL to ATP. Wait until you have the time for the FAA APT if you do not have so already. The FAA CPL will be all but useless to you, it won't get you a job inside the states if you don't have a greencard - where as the FAA ATP is useful in countries outside the States. Aviation is booming here in the States compared to Australia, although the locals will tell you otherwise...but without a work visa, it's tricky...I'm still here knocking on doors...maybe a waste of time, but who knows...

-You may as well do the higher class medical, as the lower ones cost the same anyhow...at least they did in the clinic where I went...

Say "Hi" to the Horries for me!