PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Orange Hair-brained scheme
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 08:33
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, happy.

Happy with my ability to operate to the standard of a good FO and PNF in the RHS.

I am intrigued as to what those opponents of this policy perceive the main problem to be - I was under the impression most were concerned about the CRM aspect of 2 Captains flying together, with attendant "Is he going to do something? Should I say something?" problems that come with a shallow command gradient across the flight deck.

Is finding the relevant switches etc. a serious problem from the other seat? I'm sure most of us always take the time to locate the correct switch/pb before selection during normal operation which ever seat we are operating from - and rarely have I ever needed to select something so fast that I couldn't spare the extra second or two it takes to do it from the other side.

As for 'unsafe' operation: puh-lease. When all us Captains sat in the LHS for the first time (probably in the sim on our command courses), did we crash the first few approaches of takeoffs we flew? I doubt it.

Guys who have a problem with this policy seem to fall into three main categories here:

1) those who have spent so long in the LHS they are geniuinely underconfident of their ability to do the FO's job properly again - in which case their vast experience should go some way to assist them in locating the SOPs in the Flying Manual before a duty, and in applying good CRM principles during the duty day.

2) those who see it as an affront to their superiority over their RHS/FO colleagues. A spell in the RHS is probably long overdue for these tw@ts.

3) those who are new to type so command who have temporarily limited capacity compared to their previous position - I suggest they explain this to their fellow four-striped colleague and ask them to sit in the RHS for the day, allowing the 'junior' chap the opportunity to operate from an environment which is more familiar to them.

As I'm not a line trainer I can't act as PF from the RHS during normal operations - we only do the EFATO check in the sim to cater for the worst case scenario of PF/Capt incapacitation on TO.

As if we should just accept anything and everything the stupid management throw at us?
Not at all, but equally I will not just reject everything the 'stupid' management throw at 'us' without looking at the situation objectively.

Last edited by Gary Lager; 20th Aug 2005 at 08:54.