PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 = Vr, Balanced field???
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 06:24
LGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been amazed why small turboprop pilots (not the DO328, but smaller like King Airs etc) have been using the "VEE ONE ROTATE" call, instead of just "ROTATE", as most of these are not able to continue the take-off with one engine out and still on the ground. Why even have a V1 in cases where runways are way over the ASD? If I had not retracted the gear yet and still visual, why not just land straight ahead when there is still thousands of meters available? As long as it is briefed beforehand, I cannot see the problem in this - but, I have never done it (on turboprops) because it wasn't a procedure. What I have done once, on testing the landing gear on a twin turboprop, and briefed to go airborne, retract gear, extend gear and flaps and if not even half down the 2500 meter runway, land straight ahead. Also requested this to the tower, and when coming to a stop, without using the brakes, there were still 1000+ meters left.

Point is, with a runway way over the requirement, why force a small twin prop with an engine failure at rotation all the way around the circuit, when land straight ahead is the easiest and safest? (look at all the engine out after take-off crashes).

As I am aware, the DO328 is not a heavy runway consumer, so lowering V1 will just force yourself in the air with no reason, unless you are on a really short runway.

With heavy aircraft it is of course a different story, as the large airport runway lengths are there for these types mainly, and brake energy limits and other nasties come into play here.