PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD82 crash in Venezuela
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 06:06
Dagger Dirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queries for someone flying MD-82.

a. I imagine there's a RAT or ADG for to cover "no eng-driven generators left" scenarios?

b. If so, does it deploy automatically as on the 767 (et al)? Or must it be deployed?

c. Does the standby peanut gyro have integral battery power or does it run off the main battery? [a good attitude source being everything at 0300hrs on a dark and cloudy night]. Can't imagine that any digital displays would be still up and running once back to remnant busses....

d. Is it SOP to start the APU after losing an engine? Assuming that it's airstartable.....

e. i.e. (wrt d above) If you lost both engines, can you still then crank up the APU? Or will that seriously drain/deplete the main battery power?

f. Is there a separate emergency battery?

With respect to the reported 17,000fpm final Rate of Desc, just trying to envisage a scenario where control may have been lost due to losing the standby flight instruments. That's not to say of course that a severely distracted flight crew couldn't lose the attitude long enough for it to become unrecoverable (about 10 secs)...... even if the STBY Flt Insts were up and running.

thanks in advance for any sensible input to my queries....