PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Orange Hair-brained scheme
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 01:08
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to disagree with those who are advocating Captains operating in the RHS as PNF. The fact that other airlines do it does not make it right. One of my previous airlines did it too but they allowed the RHS captain to operate from that seat. The disappointing thing is that easyJet has always prided itself on their 'safety' culture and this is clearly a less safe option than having 2 fully trained and current pilots. I have no problem with operating in the RHS as long as I am trained to the same standard as my First Officer normally is.

We all know how rusty we can feel after two weeks leave. It seems totally self-evident to me that if you do one single-engine landing in the sim from the RHS every 6 months then you simply cannot be of the same standard as someone who does it every day. The prime reason for having 2 pilots is to pick up on each other's errors and for one of them to carry on if the other croaks. If you are faced with the pressure of a dead colleague and you have not landed from the seat you are in for years - dare I say that regardless of your past experience you are well on the way to making some serious errors. There are 3 concerns for any airline - safety, safety and safety! Puting partially trained and uncurrent pilots in the aircraft is simply not acceptable and should be stamped on at the earliest opportunity.