PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Crew Pay Ballot Have You Had Enough
Old 19th Aug 2005, 10:15
Globe2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
virgincrew99

Firstly if you read my post again, you'll see that when I talk about working I use the PAST tense. I am certainly not management at VAA. I am just able to see the bigger picture - something you do not appear to be able to do.

I take on board your point about the duty free, but this was just meant to illustrate that you need to fight your corner with some proper ammunition or bargaining tools. You are much more likely to achieve you aims if you offer a win - win situation.

With regards to the Company wanting to improve the service in economy & premium and being able to find the money to do this - duh!! Of course they do - if you want to stay as market leader & win new pax you need to have the best product otherwise you will become just another airline (a bit like some of your competitors) or even worse PanAm or Braniff as you say. If the Company does not invest in this area you simply will not survive.

As far as a new uniform is concerned, again this is an integral part of the Virgin brand and needs to be protected. The cost of re-issuing uniform is there regardless of whether it's a new uniform or not - as is the cost of manufacture, distribution etc... I would also not be surprised if cost savings are achieved through sourcing a new uniform.

As far as you and your colleagues not being able to afford to use your concessions - that'll explain why staff travel are constantly rushed off their feet (I have a very good friend working there!)

What your allowances are based on is not the point in this discussion. You said that you spend the vast majority of the allowance on meals and getting to work. I dispute this and believe that actually you bring the majority of it home. Where you live is your choice and the Company is not responsible for ensuring that downroute allowances cover the cost of your petrol / travel to work (a cost everyone has regardless of job).

Unfortunately the reality of having a cabin crew community of 3500 is that the managers will not necessarily know your name. Can you name all theirs? Why is this relevant? As long as the dealings you have with them are professional and they treat you with respect it doesn't really matter whether they know you name before you have to tell them - does it?

So, what about getting more involved with your union - after all if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem! Are you prepared to invest your time and energy positively or will you just continue moaning?

Clearly we are never going to agree on this issue and I respect your opinions, however as much as you might feel you DESERVE a pay rise, this will only be achieve if you approach the issue in a sensible and measured way. Does advocating strike action when the airline is facing massive additional costs through the rise in the cost of fuel sound sensible or measured?