PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCOs to wear shirt and tie
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 10:07
LostThePicture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, yes. The incredibly banal biennial debate on what ATCOs should wear to work. One of my personal favourites.

For those of you that missed it, the devastatingly exciting 2003 version is here: Uniforms for NATS STAFF ??

My opinion: It's handy to have a distinction (at NATS in any case), between those people whose hard work has returned the company to profit, and those who are a hindrance to all things air traffic. The former group are called ATCOs, and wear what they choose. T-shirt and jeans, vest and shorts, speedos (TM). I couldn't really care less. Although speedos (TM) might be going a bit far. The latter group are called management, and helpfully identify themselves by wearing shirt and tie at all times.

Even handier still, there is a natural watershed between the two groups. It's called: THE LOCAL AREA SUPERVISOR BOARD. Prior to applying for one of these, an ATCO will generally wear what he wants. However, following selection to be a LAS, this person will magically be transformed into a management automaton, with compulsory shirt and tie. Sadly, this person will not be quite as useful as before - this being an unfortunate effect of promotion above the ATCO 2 level. Observe the effect this year for yourselves!

You'd have to be jaw-droppingly narrow-minded to prejudge a person's professionalism based on what they wear to work. Professionalism in our workplace is ABSOLUTELY NOT a function of smart dress. If anything, it's an inverse relationship, with the scruffiest ATCOs being some of the best (not that I would put myself in that category). Management might not like it, but with the current staffing situation.....

ebenezer - HUMBUG! Gotta love the pressed chinos suggestion though. Anyone for 80's throwback day?

LTP