PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilots License and the future of the CPL instructor
Old 19th Aug 2005, 06:23
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
The MPL proposal (scathingly termed 'Microsoft Pilot Licence' by some due to its reliance on simulators!) is not universally viewed with enthusiasm by airlines in Euroland.

Lufthansa, it seems, are all for it. Whereas the French are allegedly totally opposed to it.

My view is that the absolute minimum acceptable 'stick and rudder' skill level should be that required for the current CPL without IR, but with a MEP Class Rating. After that, they can do all their IR , multicrew and huggy-huggy CRM stuff in STDs, but must take the Type Rating Skill Test in the real aeroplane.

However, all this must be preceded by formal aptitude testing by an organisation independent of any specific airline. Only those who pass the aptitude testing should be permitted to take the MPL course; for all others the traditional system should remain in place.

The airlines have also woken up to the fact that few people will self-fund their MPL - and are wary of the cost that sourcing sufficient simulators and simulator instructors would bring.....so some are getting cold feet about the whole idea.

I can envisage a significant reduction in the number of Senecas droning around NDB holds on one engine etc; however, there MUST NOT be any reduction in basic piloting skills. Thus there should be a remaining demand for FIs although perhaps less so for the 'traditional' ME/IR qualified FI if there is sufficient take-up for the MPL.

As this will be a JAA (or possibly EASA) change, rather than a national change, as I understand it there won't be a UK Regulatory Impact Assessment.

I can't see some countries adopting the MPL and other not - otherwise we might see those who don't adopt the MPL refusing to allow airlines to operate in their airspace unless both pilots hold 'traditional' licences?