PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SID Climb
Thread: SID Climb
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 05:35
CAP670

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the prefect place to give expert advice.
AlanM - sorry, but ebenezer is absolutely correct: as a discussion forum, as a source of expert opinion - fine but as a source of 'flight crew briefing' certainly not!

We're talking flight safety here and whilst I don't doubt that individual ATCOs have the relevant knowledge, etc., for their sector(s) and/or airports, the proper place to brief is via the appropriate charts and documents, and where there's any confusion, to seek a definitive clarification from the ATS provider involved.

I can just see the AAIB report into some horrendous AIRPROX near Lambourne, Talla or Trent caused by a level bust for which the flight crew involved state that they climbed in accordance with the advice they received from PPRuNe!

Level Busts are one of the UK's top 'hot safety issues' currently being addressed and SIDs with 'stepped climb' profiles are statistically, the worst offenders, owing to flight crew confusion over the first stop altitudes and associated fixes.

What we need is flight crew seeking specific clarification from ATC at the time, not generically via PPRuNe.

DFC - your Talla 6B example is extremely interesting: do you happen to know whether Jepps have faithfully reproduced the stepped climb cautionary text to which you refer, exactly as it appears in the UK AIP? The reason for asking is that there are examples (not necessarily Jepps) where in the translation from English into the producer's language and then back into English for the charts, etc., the precise meaning has been very slightly (unintentionally) twisted.

In the case of the Talla 6B the real meaning is, I assume: "Climb to altitude 5000 feet. At TLA d22, when instructed by ATC, climb to altitude 6000 feet".

But does the Jeppesen 'plate' make this sufficiently clear for a non English-speaking (and perhaps Glasgow-unfamiliar) flight crew?.

For such a critical phase of flight, pilot confusion, misconception or misunderstanding can be a recipe for disaster...