PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real-time virtual radar
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 22:38
MrBitsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtual Radar.

For the last 25 years I have used a scanner to listen in to ATC broadcasts, leading me to go for the PPL. I fly out to Florida in 8 weeks for a three week course.

I have the SBS1 on order to add to the enjoyment of ATC in the UK. For years I have always wanted somthing like a virtual radar to actually see what I was hearing. I am not a "spotter" as I am not interested in aircraft photos or registrations - just an interest in the ATC system.

I have an ATC simulator that simulates all UK sectors extremely well - http://londoncontrol.com/ and the SBS1 system will greatly aid in the enjoyment of that software. My years of listening in to ATC have certainly helped my understanding of the airspace and procedures - all very usefull when I get my PPL.

I do understand ATC being a little worried by this - already some twit has posted what he believed to be two RyanAir aircraft too close on the ILS for 23 at Stanstead. Its always the same - the few upsetting it all for the majority who are just interested. I wouldn't agree it is "too extreme" for responsible people who just want to enjoy a hobby.

What about you pilots - wouldn't some of you may like to see it from the other side?