PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fenestron stall - Fact or Myth?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2001, 13:29
The Nr Fairy

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the R22, with some way to go before I can even go on the JAR CPL(H) UK(Restricted) modular course. However, I have listened to everything that anyone cares to tell me about the R22 in an effort to keep myself alive and fly the beast better. I've also no time in other helicopters, except an hour or so in a H300 and a small amount of time in a Chinook sim, so can only relate my experiences of the R22.

My understanding of the tail rotor power available in an R22 ( and I'm told an R44 ) is, that despite the fact it rotates so the forward blade is the downgoing one, the blades are designed to be extremely efficient. Frank Robinson apparently was involved heavily in the redesign of the OH-6 tail rotor after incidents and accidents related to LTE in the mid - late 60s.

I have been shown, and flown myself in the same sortie, spot turns at 2' skid height with the governor off and Nr down to 80% ( normal is 104% ) and there was no problem in left turns. I don't recall if we did right hand turns. Apparently B206 pilots turn an odd shade of green when shown this as apparently the JetRanger suffers from a lack of T/R power in some conditions.