PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fenestron stall - Fact or Myth?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2001, 03:52
eden

I've only had 1 flight in an R22 - so I am speaking from a position of weakness. That said - The extreme dynamically divergent characteristic that is present in the Gazelle I have never experienced elsewhere.

It has caught out many gazelle pilots of variable experience levels. I have only heard of the early Lynx helos with a certain direction(can't remember which way) of TR blade rotation losing TR effectiveness during DL's / when operating at the extremes of wind limits to ships. The direction of rotation was changed and I think it solved the problem.

It is always good practice to spot turn using the power pedal on the first spot turn of the day. It's like a datum setter - it sets the scene for the conditions of the day. Any turn away from this in whatever aircraft should ALWAYS be treated with care and smooth control inputs. The fact of the matter is that the aircraft are there to be flown and you've gotta turn whichever way you like - just take it gentle in the manouevres you now know to be ready for.

I'm going to have to try and trace this video shot at aerospatiale - The rate of rotation was eye watering and the Torquemeter (which had it's own close up camera) was pinned to the max end stop for a for what seemed like an eternity.

I think both NR fairy and Flying Lawyer are probably much better qualified to comment on the R22 a/c characteristics so how do you feel the TR responds in the spot turns left and right or in low speed flight to the left or right?