PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone help with an ATC contact?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2005, 16:17
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Can anyone help with an ATC contact?

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with some contact details of any current Air Traffic Controllers?

Hopefully there are some ATCs' who look at these pages that could contact me via pm. If not, would any of you guys/ girls know any ATCs' who might be happy to contact me via email??

My reason for asking is that I'd like to talk to someone in regards to the application process for ab-initio ATC entry with Airservices Australia, and also about the job in general (ie: Career progression, upsides, downsides etc).

I've devoted a lot of time and money towards trying to build a career in flying- and I've now got to that crossroad where I have to either make it happen or seriously consider doing something else. If I'm not going to fly for a living, then my next choice is to work in ATC. Then I'll be able to work in the Aviation Industry AND have the income to fly for pleasure.

As some of you may know, I converted my Aussie CPL to a UK JAR frozen ATPL, and have been living in the UK for almost two years trying to get a break. No luck as yet.

Both of us (my Wife and I) have made some pretty big personal and financial sacrifices to get to this point- and at the same time we've put many parts of our lives on hold. Also, to be brutally honest, I really don't like living in the UK.

We've both come to the decision that this can only go on for another year. If it hasn't worked by Sept/ Oct next year, we're packing it in and coming home to Melbourne. At 31 and 300hrs TT with an Oz CPL and a UK frozen ATPL, I realise that there is no hope of me succeeding with QF or DJ. I'm also not going to be in a position where I can fly singles in Kunnas/ Halls Creek for 20 something grand a year.

This is why I'm considering alternatives now. I'm looking to glean as much info as I can from current ATCs so that I can make an informed decision on a possible new career path.

If any of you guys or girls can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Should any of your ATC friends be willing to contact me, please pm me and I'll supply an email address here in the UK.

Many thanks for your help in advance,
Gearup.

(PS: The best advice that I can give a young Wannabee is to develop an alternative plan should flying not work out).