PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Helicopter pilots.....
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2001, 16:57
Whirlybird

Well, as a PPL(H) presently struggling with CPL exams I can't stand up and be counted, not yet anyway. But there do seem to be quite a few women steadily climbing the ladder, probably more than there used to be. Women are a small minority in aviation generally - are there proportionally less of them flying helos, or just less helo pilots altogether? I'm not sure. But I suspect the reasons are the usual ones - girls less likely to hear about it when young or even think it possible, women still tend to earn less so have trouble affording the training, many flying jobs have anti-social hours and most societies still expect women to be the family carers, and prejudice is still around. As to women's abilities, I was under the strange illusion one needed to co-ordinate hands and feet to fly helos, not certain appendages... oops, this is Rotorheads, not Jet Blast, better stop there. Anyway, I think it's just that changing people's attitudes takes time. Give it 20 years, then we'll be considered normal and not a novelty (and no-one will know instantly that it's me cocking up radio calls ).

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.