PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong living
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2005, 16:37
Slapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Slapshot, that is an interesting thread that you participated in. Definitely worth a read although it does sound a little tainted at times.

A friendly question: besides the pollution, did you like Hong Kong at all or did you just find that the overall lifestyle there was not for you? I understand that your family played a large part in the decision to leave, but I am interested if there are any things that you might miss about the place."
If you go there with an open mind and look for the negatives as well as the positives you will be able to make an informed decision...

Me and my Wife went there with the intention of staying for the whole career. Retire at 55 - 60 with a wad of cash/investments and live the life... My Wife got a job part time, I was flying for KA, life was good...

Then children came along. School Fees, extracurricular activities, wanting to go out and play sports without having to pay someone for the privilege...

The money we thought was good when we signed on, just wasn't cutting it. We were not putting enough aside to provide for our future, and still have the lifestyle we thought we deserved as expat's in an exotic land... We wanted more then to "get by"...

Is there anything I miss about the place? Yes. The palm trees, the walk to the ferry in the heat of the morning. The friends I made quaffing ale by the 7-Eleven in DB... Getting together as the "Few amongst the Many" for a North American back yard barbecue and laughing into the night...

I think I am much happier now, lifestyle is much better, I enjoy my flying career, and the family is happy now that I made the decision to come to where I am now...

Good luck.