PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing with a tailwind
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2005, 14:48
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I think you will find the Flight Manual limit for the B737 - 200 is 15kts tailwind.

Originally it was 10kt but I believe when Britannia were the lead customer for the B737 - 200 in the UK circa 1960s (I guess!) they applied for certification for up to 15kt. This gives more flexibility a) for "downwind" instrument approaches when lower weather minima can be applied due to type of approach aid etc and b)in the take off situation it is preferable to avoid having to fly an emergency turn (due to obstacles in the flight path) in the event of engine failure - classic example Malaga RW 32 - better to take off downwind with 15kts tailwind towards the sea on RW 14 compared to into wind on RW 32 when if an engine fails you are then doing a 180 degree turn on one engine.

I think you will find that all UK certified B737 - 200 have a tailwind limit of 15kt thanks to Britannia!

Notwithstanding the 15 kt tailwind limit this assumes that the runway is long enough to do so in accordance with the regulations.

Its also worth mentioning that tailwinds are factored by 150% when compliance with the regs are being satisfied (headwinds factored by 50 %) - this is to allow for variability of the wind although it is interesting to note that "calm" is not factored!