PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Crew Pay Ballot Have You Had Enough
Old 15th Aug 2005, 20:01
FormerFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
virgincrew99

OK I'll answer a few of your questions even though you seem to have chosen to ignore some of mine.

I have plenty idea of the value of money.

I used to work for MON and then EZY. I chose to take a £9.5k paycut when I left EZY to work for a travel agency flogging holidays. I knew what I was getting into when I made that move.

When at MON I went to 2 different places to get a mortgage - first one was Abbey National (as they then were) and another was an independent mortgage advisor at the Bradford & Bingley. Both of them took into account allowances earned in the past to work out a "rough" figure for what would be earned in future.

While @ EZY my partner did the same at the Abbey.

Only last month a friend of mine who still flies went to an independent mortgage advisor and she was offered a mortgage with her allowances taken into consideration.

I live about 90 mins from LGW and 45 odd from LHR. The housing costs here are not astronomical - they could be a darn site higher if you wanna live closer to either airport. Can easily get a 2 bed terrace in nice area of town for £110k. Or rent for around £500 per month.

Your nightstop allowance is exactly that - to cover your costs when nightstopping. Your travel costs don't really come into it, unless you're doing loads of long trips then your average cost to get to work will drop as you are having to get there less often while being covered by a greater amount of money. No matter where you work or who you work for - you are gonna have to shell out to get to where you work!

I think what you need to do is remember that you chose to accept the job offer made to you. Nobody is forcing you to stay there. However if you are choosing to stay there, then perhaps you need to get a bit more savvy in shopping around for products & services all round - and I don't just mean the cheapest way to Delsey-Dine on your next trip

cheers
FF