PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Crew Pay Ballot Have You Had Enough
Old 15th Aug 2005, 19:05
KTPops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang on, hang on!

This is a DISCUSSION forum and everyone has the right to their own opinion. This thread is discussing conditions at Virgin and users like shortm have every right to express what they think without being shot down for being "immature" and "brain-washed by the company." Maybe the monthly standby would have worked for some people, hence the reason for a crew ballot.

I voted NO because I didn't think it was a good enough offer and as a commuter, the monthly standby wouldn't have worked for me. I've been at Virgin for 8 months now having previously worked for a low-cost airline as a CA1 for 2 years. My pay has dropped by about £200 a month since I joined VA but, in all fairness, I knew what the package was when I joined the company. My main reason for wanting to be a VirginGal was to see the world and to go straight into long-haul. The staff travel concessions are excellent and it's a fun airline to work for so in that respect I'm very happy at Virgin. Having said that, I can't see myself with VA in 18 months time purely because I cannot afford it! By that time, I will have seen most of the destinations we fly to but the salary and career progression is not good enough to make this a long term career option.

I am surprised though, at how poorly we are paid in comparison to other long haul airlines. I think that is the main reason that people want to hold out for a better pay deal. I can't see many people voting yes to industrial action, I don't think the union is strong enough.

I guess we'll see...