PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2001, 03:22
eden

Question

Shytorque: (my response assumes you have alluded to my post on the 1st page) I'm suprised you feel that way about the power manipulation ..... I agree if poorly or excitedly used then you could very easily end up using too much or too litle power and have a resultant limit bust on the NR - max or min values. (if it's transient - who really cares - you have a bigger fish to fry)

IT IS IMPORTANT to STRESS that any manipulation of the POWER may only be necessary if you have a TR CONTROL problem or a TR FAILURE (in FWD FLT - and need to power on position to avoid the conurb or oggin below). In addition to this it is also important to ensure that either your crew or yourself as a single pilot fully appreciate the problem by EXECUTING A THOROUGH BRIEFING (if possible exercising some Throttle manipulation - in order to gauge it's effect prior to making the approach and using the NR variation in anger)

Hey - the problem is SEVERE and it requires skill, discipline and sound judgement, ALL within the capabilities of most HELI pilots (otherwise most of us wouldn't be playing the game).

It is essential that every opportunity is given for junior and senior pilots to practice such problems - it highlights the difficulties but more IMPORTANTLY - if considerately and sensibly practiced will give everybody more confidence in understanding that it might not be the end of the world.

By way of qualfication: I too have taught the TR problems in the SIM and in twin and Single engine MIL & CIV helos. I must agree to differ with you about avoiding using the aircrafts performance envelope.

But - support your concern if it points towards those that might hastily respond to the problem without considering their actions or those who try to use the techniques without proper and prior instruction.

Hoverbover: Interested what you were getting at in your throttle steering query ....could you expand on what you're not quite sure about?

eden