PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Hypocrisy??
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2005, 07:12
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty, didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. It just seems to me that if Qantas was serious about this INDIGENOUS CADET PILOT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM then it would be offered at Ab Initio level. An Indigenous individual who already has the minimum criteria for level 2 entry I assume would not need any more assistance than any other pilot, financial or otherwise.

I agree that
if Qantas or any Australain icon wishes to trade on the indigenous
culture for their "marketing" then all other issues aside, they have an obligation to those same people to be inclusive as far as their workforce is concerned.
I would like to think that any aspiring indigenous aboriginal applicant would want to get through on their own merits though. From what I have personally seen while working in aboriginal communities is that handouts cause most of the problems. Without going too deep, it all stems from a person’s self worth. An individual needs to feel that they are valued by others in some way. Then they feel good about them selves and are motivated to keep being valued. Handouts do not help a persons self worth. I know because I was on the dole a long time ago, and not proud of it.

If Qantas want to give something back then why not help the bored, lost indigenous youths out in regional Australia. Sorry if I seemed narrow minded. I just feel that equality should be a double edged sword.

Last edited by Erin Brockovich; 15th Aug 2005 at 08:24.