PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2001, 18:56
offshoreigor

Cool

I think the big thing to remember here is that with the exception of a total drive failure or actual loss of complete T/R assembly, the one thing you will have lots of, is time.

Don't be in a mad panic to get down. Take your time and experiment with power and airspeed combinations that will give the best profile for landing.

On wheel equipped A/C, you will be able to run the A/C on at a considerably higher than published speed i.e. S76 60-70 Kts! Skid equipped A/C, if recovered at a runway, can also run on at a fairly higher than normal speed (obviously not great for the skids but at least you get down in one piece).

Someone asked about the T/R being 'Auto'd'. The SH/UH60 has the tail rotor mounted on an angle (I forget the exact amount). If a total loss of T/R drive is experienced it is recommended that the aircraft be banked 20-30 degrees (I think to the left). This causes the T/R to autorotate to some extent returning, I believe about 50% tailrotor control.

Well keep it coming as I do believe this may turn into a very educational topic for all.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor