PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2001, 03:42
SPS

Helimutt,

I might not have put over my point too well
(on the thread this disccusion began).

I wanted to start it the right place, which is to take a look at the often misused term
'TR failure' but it appears to be getting done now.

I have to say that the difference between a
true TR failure and a TR drive failure would be completely unoticeable and agree with you on that point, as the result would still be zero TR thrust to balance torque whether the blades are still on the Heli. or not.

But I think the difference between the above and jammed pedals/controls or control disconnection WOULD be clear because the Heli would not yaw right at anything like the initial rate, even if its pitch reduced to minimum. Easy on paper though, quite different in the heat of the moment and if that is where you were going then I agree with that too.

But all good training begins with fully understanding what is going on first, and that is where I began.

A good thread which I will read fully and contribute to when I have finished work.

The last time I renewed by Inst. rating in UK We did TRUE TR failure in the hover and it was surprisingly easy to master. Intersting for me because I have witnessed a
loss of TR control on an R22 in UK but more of that later.

Lovely sunny day, slingloading is today's order and I'm off to help a very able student take a heap of tyres for a flying lesson of their own! (Yes, using an R22, and within MAUW and C of G!)