PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Rotor Problems
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2001, 02:43
ShyTorque

Unhappy

ImIanphere,

(Sorry if I've got your ID wrong as I can't tell if they are Is or ls!)

Although your T/R drive loss technique may work on an R-22 or other small single piston-engined aircraft it might not be applicable to turbine engined ones, if only for the reason that they often don't have throttles that are within reach of a pilot with his hands full of sticks. Co-ordination then becomes a problem if a second crew member is not available (or present)to assist.

I have flown a lot of time in one aircraft type that is very likely go out of control if autorotation is not entered immediately and both throttles subsequently chopped before flaring to land; the only sure speed / power combination being nil power and 75 to 80 kts in autorotation. I did a lot of time carrying out simulator training on this type [both in the hot seat and operating the sim from down the rear] and the experiences of those unlucky enough to try it for real confirm what we found. Simulators are not always accurate because they depend on good data being programmed into them. If that's not available then an "off model" best guess is put into the software programme by the designer.

The AFM usually gives some guidance but can't be relied on as gospel 'cos manufacturers don't often practice it deliberately for obvious reasons.
-----------------------------------------

In the case of a cable jam /partial loss of control of T/R pitch where a powered approach is being considered:

As one who has flies American and European aircraft (different directions of main rotor rotation), to help prevent any confusion with phrases such as "Lucky Left" or "Right is Right" (depending which type I am flying) I now simply remember which side the retreating blade is on (I tend to remember this from the start-up)! This side is then the good side to have the nose "cocked off" towards on the approach. As collective is increased to cushion the (powered)touchdown, the nose will come round, from increased Tq reaction, to point straight ahead. The retreating blade side is also the good side to have the crosswind coming from.

Hope this helps the discussion.

ShyT.