PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 01:47
t'aint natural

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu: Sorry I haven't replied earlier - I don't look at pprune as often as I used to, largely because I'm sick of reading your preposterous drivel. You're what's known here in the UK as a crackpot, a fixated monomaniac consumed by some nuthouse maunderings dressed up as aeronautical theory. You know enough to gull the biddable, you've got an over-developed opinion of your own abilities, and no matter how often your credibility is destroyed by people who, unlike yourself, have a background in helicopter design and piloting, you keep coming back with your stale old mantra. I can usually get along with people like you, except for one thing - whenever one of your key points is hopelessly undermined, you simply stop mentioning it. Some theoriser you are.
One word of advice: Just because you don't want something to be true doesn't mean it isn't.
Unlike you, an aviation consultancy here in the UK has studied the accident statistics in great depth. I hate to rise to your bait, and I know that trying to give you real information is like bouncing eggs off an outhouse wall, but I'll say this... the R22 flew 46.46 percent of all civil single-engined helicopter hours in the UK between 1995 and 2000. (That's almost half, I feel you'll agree.) During that time it was involved in three of the 15 fatal accidents involving single-engined helicopters. (That's one in five, or 20 percent). The fatal accident rate, as I said in my previous post, was one per 115,213 hours. By comparison the fatal accident rate for the 206 was one per 39,903 hours. The rate for the Hughes 269/Schweizer 300 is one fatal per 30,939 hours over the same period. That makes the R22 three times safer than the 300 over the last five years.
When you consider the treatment the R22 is subjected to in training, and by low-time pilots, it puts this whole thing into its proper context.
Do us a favour, get off your hobby horse and find something useful to do in your retirement... I've suggested before that all you've got to do is build a better helicopter than Frank Robinson - I'm sure he'll let you steal all of his design except for the bits that you're hung up on - and if it's flyable, I'll be first in line to buy it.
I'm sure you'll reply, but forgive me if I don't get back to it for a couple of weeks.